In late 2011, my husband and I snuck away for a one-night personal retreat at a nearby hotel. It was fun, refreshing, and purposeful. Part of this retreat was to pray and set goals – personal, ministry, career, and family – for 2012.
I love setting goals! One of my favorite things to do. Resolutions, however, are usually emotional decisions that rarely produce the desired outcome.
Goals that work are:
3) Have a Time Limit
4) Yours (not imposed)
5) In Writing
On Sunday, we heard an inspiring sermon about making Jesus the Capstone of the previous year and making Him the Cornerstone of the New Year. We are proclaiming GRACE over all the joyful and painful events of 2012 and beginning the New Year with a 21-day fast to set Him as the anchor for everything we hope to build in 2013. We want to intentionally build our family, build a new ministry, build our marriage. Nothing will stand if it is not built on the Rock of Christ, and He will establish the work of our hands. We want to honor God by giving Him the first-fruits of our year, setting aside the first and the best from the very beginning.
We invited our children to join us in fasting. Gert asked them each if they would like to fast for seven days from sugar. Three of them immediately said yes, however one (any guesses who this may be?) immediately and vehemently rejected the idea completely. So, we asked this child to pray about it, and see what God wants her to do. She went into her room, closed the door, and then came back out a few minutes later. “Mom, God spoke to me and told me to do this fast.”
We yearn to teach all our children to hear God’s voice and obey it!
One of our Family Goals for 2012 was to intentionally make memories with our children through shared experiences. Camping, hiking, recreation, fun places, outdoors, and sports were among our ideas. These turned out to be some of the highlights of our year!
Best of 2012…from the Roets’ Family
- Played YMCA Soccer together as a family, with Gert coaching
- Family Camping Trip to Johnson Shut-Ins
- We’re Debt-Free! We paid off our family car, sold the other one, and learned how to be a Single Car Family, thereby reducing monthly expenses considerably.
- God called our family into missions
- A prayed-for and anticipated pregnancy
- Miraculously sold our house!
- Visit with my sister, my new nephew, nieces, friends and pastor in Alaska
- Learning new ways to organize and manage a growing and busy family
- Discipleship Class and successful transition to new leadership at our church
- Our oldest daughter enjoying her violin and performing in a Youth Orchestra
- Ending the year with precious, dream-come-true time with my family in Washington.
We will be goal-setting over the next three weeks and asking the Lord for guidance in these three areas: Family, Ministry, and Personal Growth. I challenge you to do the same! Together with your spouse and children if that’s possible. Happy 2013!
*Finally, a BIG shout-out to Dave Ramsey for excellent advice on goal-setting and Financial Peace!*